A lot of our customers come to us for their apples to enjoy as a naturally gluten free treat. But, we are always excited when we are able to find a baking recipe that utilizes apples!
The original recipe was posted on The Nourishing Gourmet back in 2009 and we are so happy we found it. We used Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour. Be very careful with the salt on the recipe, we slipped a bit on the salt on our first attempt and, oh boy!
For an apple choice in this recipe, we would suggest Jonagold or Honeycrisp. Gluten free recipes can feel dry so using an apple with more juice will help keep these muffins moist. Jonagolds and Honeycrisps also have a good sweet/tart balance to help counteract the sweetness of the coconut flour.
If you wanted to tweak this recipe to make it vegan, substitute chia seed “eggs” and maple syrup for the honey. We did not try this variation so comment below if you do and let us know how it went!
Some other items in are store that are also gluten free include our cider, apple cider slushies, caramel apples, and gluten free pies! If you have another apple related recipe that is gluten free, please let us know!
Be sure to tag us in your spiced apple muffin adventures on Instagram and Facebook and tag us @oregonheritagefarms when you do!
Spiced Apple Muffins - Gluten, Dairy, Grain Free
Oregon Heritage Farms
- prep time: 10 minutes
- cook time: 28 minutes
- total time: 40 minutes
Servings: Ten Muffins
- 1/2 c coconut flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/3 c coconut oil
- 1/4 c honey
- 3 eggs
- 2 small Oregon Heritage Farms apples, peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine coconut flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a small saucepan, melt cocout oil and honey until just melted. Let cool. Add eggs and whisk ingredients together.
- Pour liquids into dry ingredients. Add apple. Combine well.
- Scoop into 10 muffin tins and bake for 23-28 minutes or until tops are golden brown.